Road safety week in Goa
This is the week that the Department of Transport once in year creates awareness of road safety through the “Goa Road safety week”. The advertisement on the local daily in Goa states that special inauguration of the “5th Goa Road safety week 2015” and release of a movie “The Helmet” a film by 99% Motion Pictures. As we all drive & ride, road safety is an important issue that we all have to deal with at some point.
So, what do we understand by road safety?
Road traffic safety refers to methods and measures for reducing the risk of a person using the road network for being killed or seriously injured. The users of a road include pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, their passengers, and passengers of on-road public transport, mainly buses and trams.
Check the above video to understand the importance of road safety & discipline and why does it matter to us.
Goa is one of the state that has the highest amount of accidents in the country. In 2014, the state recorded 4,229 accidents, of which 283 were fatal and 290 persons lost their lives. Goa police said most of the accidents were due to alcohol consumption, rash and negligent driving, use of cellphone while riding two-wheelers, and human error.
Which leaves me to think, as to how we can improve the current deadly situation on road? How can we do things better in Goa, little things which will bring in more road safety.
Here are a few things we can do to make our roads safer:
1) More pedestrian zebra crossing to be assigned. These areas need to be brought to the notice of the local governing bodies, and emphasis should be given to only cross the road at these designated areas.
2) More sign boards stating speed limits for motorists. Speed-breakers need to be built at busy traffic junctions.
3) The quality of the road construction must be improved. Timely maintenance of roads needs to be done, and not just before the onsets of monsoons.
4) Creating awareness at the grassroot level. More road safety awareness programs in villages, educational institutions and in public areas.
5) Solar & LED road signage system-innovative, green way will makes travel safer for all road users. Depending on the traffic situation, the displays will inform, warn, and guide the motorists on main roads & highways.
“Safety is key, it is up to you and me”
Stay safe Goa!