Goan Christmas favorite BAATH
1 Freshly grated coconut (130 – 140gms)
250gms Rawa (Semolina)
3 large eggs
¼ cup ghee
½ teaspoon Baking powder
Pinch of salt
1. Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl till sugar dissolves.
2. Grind the coconut slightly till it resembles crumbs.
3. In a mortar – pestle crush the cardamom seeds.
4. Now add the ground coconut to the egg mixture and mix well.
5. To this slowly add the rawa (semolina) and start mix again.
6. Once that is done add the cardamom, ghee, baking powder and pinch of salt and stir well.
7. Cover this mixture and keep it at room temperature overnight or 6 hours.
8. Now line up the 9″ inch square baking pan.
9. When it’s time to bake first pre heat the oven to 180°C.
10. Pour the batter into the pan and put the pan in the oven.
11. Let it bake for 30 minutes then do a toothpick test, if the toothpick comes out clean your Baath/ batica is done ( or you could bake for 27 minutes and then 2-3 minutes on top flame).
12. Keep it on a rack to cool before de-molding.
13. Cut only how much you need and the remaining you can store in an airtight container.
Check out this and many more mouth watering Goan recipes by Alves Fernandes
Pics Credits: Alves Fernandes